Thursday, November 8, 2012

11/9/12 Boring update kinda thing

11/9/12
Feels like I haven’t written any new blog posts in a while, but looking at the date of the most recent one, I see it hasn’t been THAT long. I guess it’s just that I keep thinking about things I’d like to write about, then…not doing it. In my defense, I will say that I’m trying to do NaNoWriMo—National Novel Writing Month, the goal of which is to write a story of at least 50,000 words by the end of November. It doesn’t have to be good (mine certainly isn’t!) it just has to get done. Another volunteer reminded me about NaNoWriMo, and now we’re both doing it, and it’s awesome but also I may never forgive her because aaaagh so many words. Anyway. What with keeping up with my daily word quota, I guess I’ve got less enthusiasm for blogging.

But I’ll give you a quick update! Elections came and went here on Tanna, which were sort of interesting. The most fun part is the campaigning, which involves caravans of trucks, all packed full of people, cheering, chanting, singing, and blasting music. Kinda seems more like an excuse for a party than a political thing…but I can hardly say anything better of America. And on that note: kudos, USA, for successfully completing another election!

October was a pretty low month for me; I just felt kinda sad and off all the time. And now it’s November, and I have perked right up. Weird how that happens here, how my baseline mood can so totally swing from one extreme to another, without any discernible change in my life/habits/diet/anything. But I’m not complaining! I’m doing really well right now. Doesn’t hurt that school’s almost over, I’m going in to Vila at the end of the month, and my sister will be visiting in December. Also, day after tomorrow two new Peace Corps trainees are going to come visit me for a few days! That’s a part of the training, which I did too: you go stay with a current volunteer for a bit to see what their life is like. I had a great time visiting a delightful volunteer on Epi, and I’m really looking forward to meeting some of the new volunteers!

And my final piece of truly momentous news: last night I discovered I can put my hair into a ponytail! Wild! I still remember when I first came to Tanna and looked like an Army recruit (although I DO miss rubbing the top of my head). Anyway, this is excellent, because otherwise I have a truly goofy shag-mullet thing going on (for some reason it reminds me of a man in colonial Williamsburg?), and the ponytail, while kinda goofy itself, is far superior.

So. That’s my not-very-interesting update for the moment. I’ll try to write something insightful or funny or informative to put up at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment