Thursday, November 8, 2012

10/22/12 Making Missus


10/22/12
Wearing your hair in a ponytail is called “making missus.” Painting your fingernails is called “making missus.” Missus, of course, is the generic term for “white woman” here. I’m just now realizing that any kind of making-yourself-look-fancy is referred to as “making missus,” or “doing like a white lady.” This is a little weird for me.

Today, when the class 1 teacher scolded two girls for coming to school with glitter on their hair and faces, she told them they shouldn’t be “making missus” to come to school. I saw some of the little kids sneaking glances over at me. There I sat, with my disheveled mullet, bitten fingernails, stained clothes, and dirty, bare feet. Yes, behold the missus in all her finery.

No comments:

Post a Comment